Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Freezer Burritos

I'm always looking for meals I can freeze and keep around for lunches or quick dinners. Freezer burritos are an excellent option for this! When I make a big batch of taco meat for dinner, I use the leftovers to make these burritos and then freeze them. I've also made these using some of the Vigo Beans & Rice packets, as a vegetarian option. I love having these on hand for a quick lunch!



Ingredients:

8-10 Flour tortillas
1-2 lbs Cooked taco meat (I've used carnitas and ground beef, and both worked great)
2 cans black, pinto, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Shredded cheese (I like to use a mix of cheddar and pepperjack)
3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced
Salsa
Wax paper
Foil

Directions:

1. In flour tortilla, layer taco meat, beans, tomatoes, salsa, and shredded cheese.
2. Roll up burrito and wrap with wax paper and then foil.
3. Freeze until ready to eat.
4. To cook, remove foil and wax paper. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, flipping the burrito once halfway through.

The freezing instructions for these burritos were based on a recipe from Taste of Home.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! How do they hold up over time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty damn well. They're more of fork food than finger food once you reheat them. The tortilla is usually too hot to handle, and sometimes the ingredients leak a little (though probably just because I tend to overfill mine every time). I've found that how well they reheat largely depends on how well the taco meat is drained. Too much liquid in the burrito, and they can get kind of soupy when reheated. I've never kept mine around for much more than a month and a half, and they help up great. I just like these too much, largely for their convenience, to keep around for very long.

      Delete